If you're a Hospitalist, you're used to seeing fast-paced, high-acuity complex care. You never know what you're going to see when you head into the hospital for the day. We've got the perfect, quick, focused, and high-yield review for you to help out with your day-to-day work in the hospital. Plus, it's even helpful for your Hospital Medicine (FPHM) exam or the Hospital Medicine Knowledge Check-In (KCI).
Here's what you need to know about Hospital Medicine Basics Video Review for your practice and exam prep from Hospitalist and Contributor, Dr. Cuong Doan, MD.
"There’s a lot of Perioperative Care in the Hospitalist Medicine topic. Those were a couple of the topics that I covered on and that were very important to me as a Hospitalist and to give people my take on how to take care of these topics."—Cuong Doan, MD
You'll review topics you're likely to encounter on a regular basis
You might be wondering how the topics covered in Hospital Medicine Basics will help you during your day-to-day. Well, with the Hospital Medicine Basics videos you can watch 5 video lectures of board-focused, streaming video presentations by Hospital Medicine specialists Cuong Doan, MD and Gil Porat, MD. You also receive a 40+ page syllabus in print format.
Topics covered in the over 3 hours of video content include Perioperative Care, Palliative Care, and Quality and Safety.
"I think the topics we cover [in Hospital Medicine Basics] are very common topics that Hospitalists will encounter, things such as perioperative evaluation prior to surgery and then postoperative management such as hypertension management postoperatively, arrhythmias, anticoagulation, blood transfusion, and thyroid issues, and steroid management." —Cuong Doan, MD
You'll review topics you don't often see and gain confidence
When you don't see a particular diagnosis or case on a regular basis, you might not be able to recognize it right away or have confidence in how to approach a treatment plan. With Hospital Medicine Basics the specialists bring in topics that are not too common as well, so that you can gain confidence and be able to react more quickly.
"We also have touch on other topics such as pregnancy and women’s health in the hospital. That is another area that I get consulted on. Since it is not something that we encounter a lot, it is something that brings about a level of discomfort, so we touch on that so the reader has information that they can glean from and know how to manage women’s health in the hospital."—Cuong Doan, MD
Use it with MedStudy's Core for the most comprehensive review
If you're taking the Hospitalist exam, the videos in Hospital Medicine Basics will cover 36% of the ABIM/ABFM FPHM exam blueprint. The remaining 64% of the FPHM exam blueprint is covered in our Internal Medicine Core.
"They [The Core and Hospital Medicine Basics] complement each other, I don’t believe that there is any redundancy. The topic material is outlined in a very concise and high yield manner that I think the readers will get a lot of information and a good use of their time."—Cuong Doan, MD
Use it in conjunction with MedStudy's Q&As if you're prepping for an exam
With our Internal Medicine Board-Style Q&As, you'll build your confidence for exam day! You can practice answering questions in the format you’ll see on your exam. The Q&As will help you assess what you know and what you need to focus on more.
"My advice to prepare for the Hospitalist MOC exam would be to go through the questions, I think MedStudy has an excellent bank of questions to complement and augment the section on Hospital Medicine, I think part of the exam is knowing what the questions are asking and being familiar with questions, so I would encourage folks to in addition to reading the Core material to use the bank of questions."
—Cuong Doan, MD
Clinicians can use the videos, too
Not a Hospitalist? Hospital Medicine Basics is relevant to a clinical environment and the situations you face on a daily basis as well.
"I do think it is applicable to clinicians, in addition to the perioperative section, one of my other colleagues worked on ethics, palliative care, and clinical quality measurements. Those are all important aspects as a clinician who is managing patients in a hospital, whether part of the time is administrative or looking at quality improvement versus a clinician who is seeing patients. It is good for administrators as well as clinicians because we do touch on a lot of those topics, and even end of life issues are touched on in Hospital Medicine Basics."—Cuong Doan, MD
Snippet from Dr. Doan's Consultative Comanagement lecture in Hospital Medicine Basics
Like review videos and hunting for more? Check out the lectures in our Internal Medicine Video Board Review, too!